Sometimes an almost perfect photograph fails to become perfect because of some unnecessary softness in the image. A masterpiece becomes a disaster. That’s not a matter to be worried about anymore now. As with the help of Photoshop, we can easily sharpen an unsharp or soft-focused image very smoothly.
There are two different techniques that can be applied to these images. These techniques are very easy and simple. But, it can still help you to change your disaster photo back to a brilliant masterpiece. See how professional photo editing sharpening an image in 2 brilliant ways.
Two sharpening methods are:
- Unsharp mask
- Smart sharpen
In this article, we will give some brilliant tips on how to apply these two image sharpening techniques using Photoshop accurately on your soft-focused images.
This filter is quite effective. It works completely opposite to its name. It actually sharpens an image’s contrast along with the edges very accurately. It is a very exciting type of method, but for now, we can say that it works perfectly!
Step 1 –
The basic step is to open the photo you want to sharpen, on Photoshop. To do so, go to the upper bar, open the file menu, choose the open option from the file menu. A window will appear on the screen of your Hard disk drive. Choose the image from there and click open. Your image will be available on the editing tab of Photoshop.
Step 2 –
After you have chooses your desired image it is time to initiate the sharpening process. For sharpening the image without losing its quality you have to duplicate the image background layer and convert it into a sharp object. To do so, choose the image background layer from the layers tab on the lower right side of Photoshop. After choosing the background layer CLICK the right button of the mouse, then choose the duplicate layer option from the right button menu. After the layer gets duplicated, RIGHT CLICK on the duplicate layer of the image and choose the convert to smart object option from the menu that will appear on the screen above the cursor. Then your image will get converted to a smart object, after that you can easily use the unsharp mask method on it.
Step 3 –
Now it’s time to sharpen the image using unsharp mask technique. To do so, Go to the upper bar and Click on the Filter menu, then go to the sharpen menu and choose the unsharp mask option from that menu. Then the image will appear at a new tab on the screen. This tab will have 4 options – zoom, amount, radius & threshold.
- Zoom– This will help you to see your image clearly on the screen and let you decide how much sharpness you want.
- Amount– This option helps you to apply the sharpness on the image by adjusting it using the slider easily.
- Radius– This option decides the area affected in the image with sharpness. Use the slider to decide how much area you want to apply sharpness on.
- Threshold– This option lets you control your sharpening errors. It fixes the area that you didn’t want to sharpen. Use the slider to increase or decrease the effect.
Final Step –
After deciding the amount, radius and threshold of the image click ok to apply the effect. Then your image will become sharp and you can now save it using Ctrl+S. This way you will have your soft-focused image sharpened in no time.
Another way to sharpen images is to use Smart Sharpen Filter. This filter searches for areas of contrast and then it applies sharpening on it. It keeps the contrast and sharpening amount proportional to each other. You can also change the shadows and highlights of the image using this method.
Step 1 –
Just like the unsharp mask method, you will have to open the image and choose the file. Then duplicate the layer and convert it to a smart object. The instructions are all same just the filter option will change.
Step 2 –
Unlike the unsharp mask, this time choose the Smart filter option from the filter menu. Then another window will open with the photo on it. This time the options will be different on it.
Step 3 –
In this step, we will use the smart sharpen filter options to sharpen the photo. The Amount and radius option works exactly as unsharp mask option. But other new options are available here. Remove option, more accurate option, shadows, and highlights option are the new options available here.
- Remove – Here, we can remove the type of blur from the image. It can be Gaussian blur, lens blur or motion blur.
- More accurate – Using this option or choosing this option we can increase the accuracy of the sharpening on the image.
- Shadow – This option gives us the opportunity to increase or decrease the shadow and the radius of the shadow from the image easily with better accuracy.
- Highlight – This option can be used just like the shadow option to increase or decrease the highlights on the image and the Tonal width of the objects color with more perfection.
Using this technique you can obtain more accurate and bright as well as sharp image and your masterpiece will be unharmed. This keeps the image quality great.
These were the best ways to sharpen your image and turn it into a masterpiece. This will take your photographs to a professional level and will obviously increase your fame in the huge market of photography.
So just click without tension and leave the tension to these filters.