Do you have family members close by who are snoring and suffering OSA events? If so, you’re not alone. Snoring is one of the most common sleep problems in the world. If snoring keeps you or your partner up at night, it’s time to do something about it. This blog post will discuss the causes of snoring and provide a list of the best snoring solutions in Australia!
Causes of Snoring
Snoring happens when there is an obstruction in the airway. It can be due to a variety of reasons, including
- Anatomic abnormalities: Anatomic abnormalities are one of the most common causes of snoring. The obstruction can be due to a deviated septum, enlarged tonsils, or long soft palate. You may need an ENT specialist for treatment if you have any of these anatomical abnormalities.
- Obesity: Obesity can also cause snoring. When you are overweight, excess tissue in the throat can vibrate and cause snoring. Losing weight is often the best way to treat snoring caused by obesity.
- Alcohol use: Alcohol use can also cause snoring. It relaxes the muscles in the throat and can lead to snoring. If you drink alcohol, it’s best to avoid doing so close to bedtime.
- Nasal congestion: Nasal congestion is a common problem caused by various things, including colds, allergies, and sinus infections. When you have nasal congestion, your nose becomes blocked or plugged up. It can make breathing difficult through your nose and cause snoring.
- Smoking: Smoking is also a cause of snoring. It leads to inflammation and swelling, which can block your airway and cause snoring. If you smoke, quitting is the best way to reduce your risk of snoring.
- Sinus infections: Sinus infections are a common problem that can cause snoring. Your nose becomes blocked or plugged up when you have a sinus infection. It can make breathing difficult through your nose and cause snoring.
Solutions to Stop Snoring
There are several things you can do to try to stop it.
- Change your sleep position: One of the simplest solutions is to change your sleep position. Sleeping straight allows gravity to pull your tongue and soft palate down, which can block your airway and cause snoring. Instead, try sleeping on your side for a few nights and see if it makes a difference.
- Wear an anti-snoring device: An anti-snoring device is a mouthpiece you wear at night to help prevent snoring. Anti-snoring devices include snore guards, tongue stabilising devices, and mandibular advancement devices. Snore guards help keep your tongue from falling back into your throat and blocking your airway. Tongue stabilising devices hold your tongue in place so it can’t fall back into your throat and block your airway. Mandibular advancement devices help keep your lower jaw from falling back, which can help prevent snoring.
- Use a humidifier: One of the snoring solutions is to use a humidifier. It will keep your gullet moist and prevent tissues from drying out and vibrating. You can buy a humidifier at most drugstores or online. Be sure to clean it regularly.
- Anti-snoring pillow: Anti-snoring pillow is specifically designed to help reduce or eliminate snoring. Some anti-snoring pillows are designed to keep your head elevated while you sleep, which can help clear your airway and prevent snoring. Other anti-snoring pillows are designed to support your neck and jaw to prevent snoring.
- Treat nasal congestion: Nasal congestion is a common cause of snoring. If you have nasal congestion, you can use a saline spray to help moisten the inside of your nose and reduce inflammation. You can also use a neti pot to flush out your nasal passages.
Snoring can be a real pain, not just for the person suffering from it but also for their partner. If snoring is something that’s affecting your quality of sleep, it’s important to seek out a solution. Several solutions are available on the market, but not all are created equal. This post has compiled a list of the best snoring solutions in Australia based on their effectiveness and affordability.